Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Glad To Have A Tetanus Shot

We have begun our other craft classes : Glass and Metal.

Glass went a lot better than pottery did! We won't be blowing glass (sad), but we are slumping, sand blasting, casting, and using fusion. Slumping is what we did today. You cut a square or circle piece of glass (which is surprisingly easy!) and then you decorate it and add detail. You then place over a mold, which in this case is a bowl, and set it in the heating machine which will melt the glass and decor over the mold.

Checking measurements


Cutting Glass Circle


Clamping away unneeded pieces.


I'm iiiiitty bitty back there. This is me water-sanding glass. I don't think TinMan knew I was in this picture.


Matt and I Picking Out Our Plate Decor.


Confirming Mold To Glass Size.


Cutting My Decorations.


Quickly Gluing On Decorations Because We Were Out Of Time.


Last Minute Decision to Make Something Out of Scraps. Why not?


The Final Melting Chamber. Can you guess which is mine??


Our Glass Professor Turning on the Melter. (Auburn 4th years, you may recognize him as the glass man that came and spoke during Summer Op)


We parted for lunch. I ate, then folded laundry, grabbed an icecream and walked to four trees for metal class. We were assigned a project to make metal keychains with our names or something on them. I decided to carve "Love" in cursive and put a heart on it. We used hacksaws and VERY thin blades. As a group, I think we went through about 50 blades because they were so easily broken. Christine called our class an "Oops War" because about every minute or two we took turns yelling "CRAP!" or ....other words. (Grandmomma and Momma are reading :) ) I only broke 5 blades and it took me about 2 hours to carve of the words and heart. I was sanding down the edges and decided that the heart needed to be larger. I successfully expanded it and, as i was finishing the VERY last cut, the blade slipped and I cut my finger. I tried to shake it off as nothing because it really didn't hurt, but it WOULD NOT STOP BLEEDING! So I was forced to ask for a Band-Aid and, of course, as soon as I did they ALL freaked out. The Taiwanese students who were helping us went running for the first-aid kit and I got first-class treatment of three different liquids to fight infection and then some neosporin and a band-aid. Don't worry. I'm A-OK.

Beginning Metal


Learning how to start our project. I look really mad, but that's just my listening face.


Hahaha. I had my goggles on backwards and TinMan caught me looking pretty perplexed.


Cutting my Keychain! If you look closely, you can see "Love"


My table. Matt, Ian, Kenney and Me.


Class was supposed to end at 5 and I was supposed to meet my group outside my dorm room at 5 30, but I didn't leave class until 5 25 because I wasn't done with my keychain. I arrived at the dorm to see my group working in the lobby. I joined and after about 10 minutes of miscommunication, we decided to go the library where we could at least be air conditioned and frustrated. We struggled through making our presentation for tomorrow and then Rosanna told me that her roommate wanted to buy me dinner.
She asked if I wanted McDonald's or traditional Taiwanese food. I voted Taiwanese and for McDonald's another day. [Time Traveling : I forgot to tell a story from the mall excursion. Two students brought these mushy rice balls for us. I tried to eat it and turns out I REALLY didn't like it (the texture!). When I don't want something I gag nonstop until I spit it out. I felt bad, and I hope they didn't see me....but I spit it out and buried it in the leftovers of my noodle dinner at the mall.] We got to Rosanna's dorm room and pulled the food out of the bag I began eating. I discovered that what they had ordered me was basically a HUGE rice ball. I ate it, but pwhew, I have GOT to get over this textures thing! 

Rosanna's roommates were cool. We drooled over Twilight. :P I got really excited because they wrongly told me that it was released here on June 3. That's BEFORE the US. But turns out they meant "thirty," not "third." Sad day. Oh, and I've determined that Taiwanese people are very caring, and love to put band-aids on people. I was telling the story about cutting myself in metal class, and the girls all ran and got two first aid kids and redid my wound bandage. Haha!

Then Kenney and I went for a walk, and now I'm here eating gummy bears and talking to the internet!
Night Night /Good Morning!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like they have updated the metal shop. When I was there it felt very 1970's high school ag shop.

    And, my tetanus shot was up to date, but I got one in Taiwan. In the hip. Fun story. I may tell it some time!

    I get more jealous with each post. I will prolly mail myself over there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weren't you the one that walked into the ocean and cut your foot open or something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah that was me....There are pics of it deep on my facebook.

    ReplyDelete